by Kent Jackson, Respect My Blog
Start a Blog in 2018
A blog is a frequently updated online personal journal or diary. It is a place to express yourself to the world. A place to share your thoughts and your passions. Really, it’s anything you want it to be. For our purposes we’ll say that a blog is your own website that you are going to update on an ongoing basis. Blog is a short form for the word weblog and the two words are used interchangeably.
Starting a blog is the best way to share your ideas and expertise online. Or expand your online business. It’s great tool to promote your personal brand or business. You can also make money from your blog. Luckily, in 2018, creating a blog is easier than ever.
So you may be asking why anyone would want to have their own blog. We believe the answer lies in the fact that every human has a voice and wishes their voice to be heard. The Internet is a medium that is unparalleled in its reach. Never before have average people like you or me been able to reach a global audience with so little trouble. Bloggers have the opportunity of reaching hundreds or even thousands of people each and every day.
There are still many people who like to share the details of their days. They may post twenty or thirty times a day, detailing when they ate lunch and when they headed home from work. On the other hand there are bloggers who give almost no detail about their lives, but write instead about a hobby or interest of theirs. They may dedicate their blog to something they are passionate about.
In fact, today’s blogs can provide hair tips, up-to-date news, technical information, celebrity scandal, political rumor, gets people involved in volunteering, advice on investments as well as there being blogs about niche topics like cooking, health, gardening, sports, etc. For me, I have this sports blog that I started in 2015 and it has grown since then. I even have a Youtube channel that is branded by my blog. Once you start to get a solid following, things start to get interesting.
‘Is blogging completely FREE?’
The short answer is “Yes.” You can even create a blog free if you want to.
BUT there are a couple of things you should pay for.
A domain name (www.YourBlogAddress.com) will cost around $10/year (but you can get it free—more about that later).
Bottom line: If you want to start a serious blog, you’ll need to spend a few dollars to get a domain name and web hosting. We’ll go through these in detail as we go along.
‘Can I use a blog to make money online?’
Some successful bloggers make insane amounts of money ($50k/mo and above), and most of it is passive, too.
There are endless ways to earn money with your blog.
Some folks are offering services, some using Google Adsense program, some are monetizing their blogs with Viglink.
You can learn more about monetizing your blog here: 33 Ways To Monetize a Blog.
But you can set up a blog for fun or as a hobby, too. That’s completely fine and many people are already doing it. You can just set up a blog to become a better writer and have no intentions of making money online.
1. Choose Topic You want to Blog About
You need a clear vision, on which topic you want to work on your blog.
In choosing a blog topic, I recommend you to choose something you’re interested in, you’re passionate about. Before you set up a blog, lock the topic you love. Why?
Because the topic you’re passionate about, you know very well about, you have grip on that topic and which will provide more value in your content and never get you bored. As you’re passionate about the topic, you will continue learning.
So, if you have a clear vision, great! If not then no problem select from some of these broad topics:
- Internet Related Stuff (such as Blogging, SEO, programming etc.).
- Products reviews (Online or Offline).
- News (All types).
- Stories (Motivational, Lesson).
2. Choose Your Blogging Platform
When starting your blog, there are several platforms to choose from (tumblr, blogger etc..).
However, one that really stands out from the pack is WordPress.
It’s FREE, very user friendly, and perfect for people who’ve never built a blog before.
Why People Use & Recommend WordPress?
- It’s FREE (you only need a web host & domain name)
- There are 5,000+ free & paid WordPress themes available to make your design look top-quality.
- They have super helpful support forum.
- It offers 45,000+ free plugins to help your blog run more smoothly and efficiently.
91% of all blogs are running on WordPress, including this one— WebsiteSetup.org and WordPress is also used by 62% of the top 100 company blogs.
3. Hosting Your Blog
Your entire blog is based on your host, so it should be best. Hosting enables users to access your blog from anywhere in the world.
You need two things: host and domain to make your blog live. It is the hard-and-fast rule to have both. There are many hosting services available.
But, I recommend BlueHost, because they are good at their work, and WordPress officially recommend them.
However, if you think it’s not good, and choosing other hosts then must check its server response time and other features.
Start your blog with BlueHost
First, go on BlueHost
- Click on the “Get Started” button
- Then, select your desired Package, recommended is to choose plus package.
- Now, enter your desired domain name, or connect if you have already bought from other sites.
- Now, fill your account information.
- Now, fill your package information, if you want to remain anonymous as a registrant of the domain then tick Domain Privacy Protection, otherwise, it’s not necessary. Site Backup Pro and Site lock Security is also not necessary, we can install a plugin for those. (Not recommended).
- Also, put your payment information.
- Then, choose the password for your account.
- Now, For Installing WordPress, login to your admin panel.
- Now, click on Install WordPress.
- Then, click on install
- After that, select your domain you bought with Bluehost hosting or the one you already bought from somewhere else. Leave the directory window empty.
- In the last step, Enter your site name, admin name (avoid using admin as username) and use a strong password, then click on install now.
Then, WordPress will automatically install in seconds, and you will get shortly get an email containing all your login credentials.